A tough ascent - Man Bahadur BK

KATHMANDU -
I was born to a poor Dalit family in a remote part of Palpa district on April 18, 1964. My father, Bhim Bahadur BK, was a menial worker in India and my mother, Maya Devi, was a homemaker. Unlike many Dalit children, I was lucky to have parents who believed in educating their children. Despite facing several adversities, they always encouraged me to study.
However, since it was a Panchayat period, there was serious discrimination against the Dalit community. Villagers would make fun of my parents, saying ‘Kami ko chora lai padayera k huncha?’ (What use is educating a Dalit child?) When I overheard such mockery, I was afraid my parents might stop sending me to school. Fortunately, my parents never listened to them.
Back then, it was natural for the Dalit community to face such discrimination. But one particular incident made me feel that society is really harsh on Dalits. After completing my Intermediate degree, I applied for a primary teacher’s post at the school from which I had graduated. Despite being one of the best students in my batch in the entire district, the school administration and the villagers denied me the job because I was a Dalit. I felt bad but never lost hope. I applied to another school and I was hired. I realised then that if you are capable enough, you can get any job irrespective of your personal background. Given my poor family background, I was obliged to work and continue my education at the same time.
I first entered government service in 1988 as the finance officer for the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT). In the absence of a private sector, government service was the only option for someone willing to work. The Public Service Commission was not as inclusive then as it is now. In order to be eligible for government service, you had to have the support of someone influential or be extremely capable. I might have been the first section officer from the Dalit community although I cannot verify my claim.
Later on, I joined the Ministry of Industry as a micro-enterprise officer and then the Department of Cooperatives as a cooperative officer. During this time, I was granted permission to go abroad for further studies. However, when I returned, I was barred from rejoining my office on the grounds that my leave had not been approved. I filed a court case against the government, asking that I be reinstated. Considering the impending court case, I started to work for various INGOs and NGOs, including the Rural Development Program from then GTZ, Unicef, Save the Children and the Centre for Constitutional Dialogue.
In 2010, I became the first Dalit to receive a doctorate (PhD) in economics (in Social Inclusion in Micro Finance) from Tribhuvan University. It took almost three years for my professors to approve my research although later, I was awarded for the originality of my concept. During this period, I discovered how Dalit students were still looked down upon in academia.
My constant study of Nepali society and its economic structure led me to come up with the concept of a Community Banking Model for Inclusion, which is recognised as ‘third generation micro-finance’. I have been practising that model since 2010, when I formed a community bank. I am also equally active in academic and non-academic research and teaching, with special attention to children and the marginalised and excluded groups.
In 2010, I once again entered state service as a joint-secretary through free competition. As a single joint-secretary from the Dalit community, my colleagues would tell me I could be placed wherever I chose. However, the government deputed me to the Department of Labour against my interest. I did my best to make the state mechanism and service inclusive whenever I got the opportunity.
I am currently posted as a Chief District Officer (CDO) in Bardiya. Since I am very much interested in working on the frontlines, in direct contact with the general people, I am enjoying my job immensely. Many people from across the country have congratulated me for being the first CDO from the Dalit community. As a CDO, you are accountable to all the people, irrespective of the caste and the class, but people from marginalised and excluded communities expect a lot more from you. I discovered that finding a Dalit at the helm of power increased the confidence of these groups. Seeing a representative of their own community in an influential position, it is natural for the underprivileged, discriminated-against and excluded communities to have expectations. But a single person cannot do much.
 Although things have changed tremendously over the years, Dalit communities still do not have the access to all state mechanisms. Inclusion without empowerment makes no sense. In my view, there is disparity in introducing rules, regulations and provisions and their implementation. Since empowerment and inclusion are two parts of the same coin, the state should provide equal attention to both. Inclusion can be a solution only when the state thinks beyond the reservation and quota system. The underprivileged and excluded people are still unevenly represented in state mechanisms. Having said that, I do not mean that people should receive something they do not deserve.
SOURCE:- kathmandu-post(As told to Roshan Sedhai)

No comments:

Post a Comment